Re: Cups, or magicfilter . HP Deskjet 540

Joel Mayes wrote:

> wpmills@Mills-USA.com (W. Paul Mills) writes:
>
> > Cups, while designed to be quite flexible seems to not at present
> > have support for much anything unless you want to buy it's
> > creators products. Or write your own filters.
>
> I'm not sure thats true, if you install cupsys-driver-gimpprint and
> cupsomatic-ppd you get support for over 1000 different printers

You may be both right.

http://www.cups.org/software.html says:

   The CUPS distribution only provides sample drivers for HP and
   EPSON printers. If you need drivers for other printers, or want
   commercial- quality printer drivers, please visit our ESP Print
   Pro page for information on our commercial printing
   solutions. ESP Print Pro supports thousands of printers and
   includes graphical interfaces to CUPS.

And `ESP Print Pro Standalone on CD-ROM' (not a license to server
as a print server) sells for US$95.

However, the cupsomatic-ppd package _does_ have a bunch of ppd
files (913 in the version on woody), but it is distributed by
www.linuxprinting.org and not by www.cups.org.

--

Now, with projects such as CUPS and

 http://lpr.sourceforge.net/  (GNUlpr)
 http://sourceforge.net/foundry/printing
 http://hp.sourceforge.net/
 http://hp.sourceforge.net/uhowto/eps-uhowto.php  (Enhanced Printing System)

I'm left wondering how all the pieces fit together.  It's all
very confusing to me.

Peter