Re: Cups, or magicfilter . HP Deskjet 540

Paul wrote:
> I made a new installation from scratch (2.2 rev 3), but I didn't get any
> printer settings, nor I saw any script for that. I have a HP deskjet 540,
> does some one know how to configure it? What would be better, cups or
> magicfilter?

I just started looking at CUPS, and have now tried it on two different
systems.  I was previously using lprng and magicfilter on one of the
systems, while the other couldn't print at all (networked printers using
HP's JetDirect system - never could get lprng to print to these).  I've
found CUPS *much* easier to get up and running.  Especially when it comes to
setting up printing to networked printers - both the JetDirect printers as
well as a printer being shared out from a Windows machine were simple to set
up.

As a side note, with the cupsomatic-ppd package installed there is support
for the DJ540.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD   | He that is slow to believe anything and
                      | everything is of great understanding,
'91 GS500E            | for belief in one false principle is the
Morgantown WV         | beginning of all unwisdom.