Re: Cups, or magicfilter . HP Deskjet 540

on Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 01:09:09PM -0400, kmself@ix.netcom.com (kmself@ix.netcom.com) wrote:

> I made a new installation from scratch (2.2 rev 3), but I didn't get any
> printer settings, nor I saw any script for that. I have a HP deskjet 540,
> does some one know how to configure it? What would be better, cups or
> magicfilter?
> Thanks,

Got this set up (some time back).  Interesting story.  The box is an HP
Pavilion, forget what series.  The BIOS settings were for OS handling of
LPT, which explained why the printer port wasn't being recognized.  I
ended up changing the appropriate BIOS settings (again, I forget
specifics), and could use the printer, including low-level settings.

Frankly I can't remember which of the various print systems I installed
on the box, but I seem to recall thinking CUPS was possibly overkill for
the single box/attached printer setup.

Cheers.

   Are these opinions my employer's?  Hah!  I don't believe them myself!