Re: Zip installation - help with imm, ppa and diagnostic messagees.

No dia 23/07/01, 05:12:55, Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> escreveu
o seguinte sobre o tema Re: Zip installation - help with imm, ppa and
diagnostic messagees.:

> On 23 Jul 2001, hzi wrote:
> > Hello-
> >     I'm having problems installing my Zip. I have it set-up through a
> > parallel port, and together with a printer, in the customary set-up.
> >     I've already configured the /etc/fstab with
> >

> [snip]

> Before you go ahead with this installation, you might like to consider
> whether you really want your printer connected to the Zip via the
> parallel port. I had mine like this and at first all seemed to be well,
> but gradually more and more errors kept occurring when reading and
> writing to the disks. I therefore wrote a script to fsck the disk after
> each copy (I only used the Zip for backups). Eventually, I started
> getting the dreaded "click of death". I therefore phoned Iomega to ask
> for an out-of-warranty replaclement.

> Iomega said that the problem was probably because I had the printer
> connected to the output port on the Zip. I said this was supposed to
> work, otherwise why was it there? Yes, they said, it is supposed to work
> but it isn't very reliable. They said to try the drive without the
> printer and see; if it still didn't work they would replace it.

> Well, I tried it without the printer and it does work without problems,
> so the explanation seems to be correct. However, this makes the Zip more
> or less useless for my purpose, and maybe for yours too.

> My solution has been to install a second HDD and back up to that.

> Anthony

Anthony-
	Although you didn't help solve my problem in a technical sense, I found
your answer very useful.
	All this being true (and I have no reason to doubt you), we GNU/Linux
users have to seriously reconsider Iomega as an option.
	Im my case, there's no point either in not connecting the printer and
the Zip driver.
	Shame on Iomega! (Actually, too bad - no Iomega for me #next# time).
	Thanks.
		Regards,
		Henry @ hzi@uol.com.br