Anti-aliasable fonts in KDE?

This comes from a previous question, but I've spun it off as a new
thread because the topic has changed significantly.

I've had some trouble switching to anti-aliased fonts in KDE. Enabling
anti-aliasing disables a large number of nice X fonts, and the
remaining selection is meager, including few really usable, simple
fonts. Most critically, the default KDE fonts, Helvetica and Courier,
are not anti-aliasable, and so new fonts must be selected.

Moreover, KDE seems very attached to the default, non-AA font setup,
and dislikes reconfiguration. In only a few minutes of usage (having
configured the font defaults to the most sensible fonts available) I
found, among other things, that kshell was defaulting to a truly
horrible font, and one which was so large that the window was now
effectively only about 40 characters wide, and that Konqueror was
mis-rendering its own default page.

The optimal solution would seem to be to get anti-aliasable versions
of Helvetica and Courier. Is this possible? Failing that, does anyone
know of a set of anti-aliasable fonts which are usable as defaults
(meaning that they are legible and avilable in bold/italic/etc
versions), and which will not upset kshell, konqueror, and whatever
else?

--
Geoffrey M. Romer
gromer@hmc.edu