Re: Unable to upgrade libc6, cannot find why

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 10:00:39AM -0400, J.F.Gratton wrote:

> Hi, I just tried to install Deb on a new PC, but I can't complete the
> install, somehow. Here's what happens.
>
> - I started the install with Deb 2.2r3's boot floppy (well actually the
> first cd) and then changed my /etc/apt/sources.list to point to an ftp
> server with unstable instead of stable.
>
> - It downloads the packages OK. Now the fun starts...
>
> One the first packages it tries to install is libc6_2.2.3-7_i386.deb, to
> replace the one from the CD (which is 2.1.3-18).
>
> Here's what I get:
>
> ---
> Preparing to replace libc6 2.1.3-18 (using .../libc6_2.2.3-7_i386.deb) ...
> cp: invalid option -- L
> Try 'cp --help' for more information.
> dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.2.3-7_i386.deb
> (--unpack):
>  subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
> ---
>
> Sorry if this seems long, I thought that putting the whole message might
> help people.
>
> I went throught the /var/lib/dpkg/info/libc6.* to find any mentions of
> cp -L without finding anything.
>
> My system is now stuck half-installed as I cannot continue (libc6 being
> important as it is for other packages).
>
> Anyone knows where to go from there ? Thanks
>
> Jeff

	Hi Jeff,

	I took a look at my /var/lib/dpkg/info/libc6.preinst file and it has
'cp -L /lib/libdb.so.3 /lib/libdb.so.3.old' on line #21. Not sure
exactly what's happening with your's. It seems like you're system just
doesn't like the '-L' option for cp. Look at the man page for cp and
see if that option is in the there. Even though I have never used the
-L option myself, it seems like I have seen it in the manpage for cp
for a long time and therefore think that it's a valid option even in
older versions a cp, but not sure. For me it shows as '-L, --dereference
always follow symbolic links'. My version of the fileutils package is
4.1-2. Hope that helps you get started looking in the right direction
to find something out.

	Jimmy Richards

Computer dating is fine, if you're a computer.   --Rita May Brown