Re: Unable to upgrade libc6, cannot find why

        Hi Jeff,

        I took a look at my /var/lib/dpkg/info/libc6.preinst file and it has
'cp -L /lib/libdb.so.3 /lib/libdb.so.3.old' on line #21. Not sure
exactly what's happening with your's. It seems like you're system just
doesn't like the '-L' option for cp. Look at the man page for cp and
see if that option is in the there. Even though I have never used the
-L option myself, it seems like I have seen it in the manpage for cp
for a long time and therefore think that it's a valid option even in
older versions a cp, but not sure. For me it shows as '-L, --dereference
always follow symbolic links'. My version of the fileutils package is
4.1-2. Hope that helps you get started looking in the right direction
to find something out.

        Jimmy Richards

Computer dating is fine, if you're a computer.   --Rita May Brown

Jimmy,

First of all, thanks for answering me :)

I'll tell you something REAAAAL strange ... The line you mentionned above doesn't even appear in my libc6.preinst file.

Actually, I checked that file before mailing the this list. Now before replying to your post I did clear ; grep 'cp' * | more and didn't find anything remotely ressembling my problem ....

How can an error message appears in dpkg when it references something that doesn't seem to be there, that one I can't figure out :)

Would you be kind enough to send me you libc6.preinst please ? I figure that my system is already quite f*cked up (sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone) that it can't damage it more if I just slap your copy in /var/lib/dpkg/info :)

If THAT doesn't work, I'll just reinstall the whole thing with 'stable', change my sources.list to 'sid' and update fileutils, and then try again. If it's only a question of fileutils, that means there might be something wrong with the predependencies while dist-upgrading from 'stable', no ?

Anyway thanks, I look forward to your answer :)