Re: ipchains: cannot open file `/proc/net/ip_fwnames' (was: Re: "No such file or directory" - huh?!)

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 10:59:15AM +0200, Gary Jones wrote:
> Joost Kooij wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 08:34:48PM +0200, Gary Jones wrote:
> > > ash-ock:/etc/init.d# ./firewall
> > > bash: ./firewall: No such file or directory
> [snip]
> > > What's going on? The script file is definitely there
>
> > In the script, you are using a command with a tpyo in it or that is
> > located in a place not in your current $PATH.
>
> Nope. See later for how I know why not...
>
> > Perhaps the command is "ipchains" (/sbin/ipchains) and you are used
> > to doing "su" to become root?  In that case, next time do "su -", so
> > you get a propor root login, with all the sbins in $PATH.
>
> No, I ran that scripting session as root so that I wouldn't get anything silly
> like ownership issues.
>
> and Tim Moss wrote:
>
> > The "No such file" could be referring to the shebang line. Does /bin/sh
> > exist?
>
> Yes.

If it wouldn't, all sorts of other things would also break, pretty
violently.

> I still don't know what caused the problem. What I ended up doing was something
> like:
> cp ../init.d/firewall ../init.d/firewall.old
> cp ../init.d/network ../init.d/firewall
> jed ../init.d/firewall ../init.d/firewall.old
> and then copying the contents of 'firewall.old' into 'firewall'. After that I
> didn't get "No such file or directory" any more, though the original reason is
> still a mystery to me. Thanks for your help, though.

Too bad that you do not have both files anymore, or you would have been
able to at least make a "diff" of the working and the non-working version.

> Now I get:
> ash-ock:~# ipchains -F
> ipchains: cannot open file `/proc/net/ip_fwnames'
> [which is not surprising, since...]
> ash-ock:~# ls -la /proc/net/ip*
> -rw-r--r--   1 root     root            0 Jul 22 10:29 /proc/net/ip_forward
> -rw-r--r--   1 root     root            0 Jul 22 10:29 /proc/net/ip_input
> -rw-r--r--   1 root     root            0 Jul 22 10:29 /proc/net/ip_output
>
> *sigh*
>
> I thought creating all the stuff required was the job of the install routine?

Are you sure that you enabled firewalling support in your kernel
configuration?

> I also get "setsockopt : protocol not available" when trying to set the policy.
> FWIW this is ipchains --version 1.3.4 (as per standard 'slink' distro, I believe)
>
> --
> Gary
> Debian 2.1r4 (kernel v2.0.39); XFree86 3.3.6
That may also explain these other problems.  Consider upgrading
the machine to a newer debian release and a newer linux kernel.
The facilities you are trying to use may not be supported very well or
at all in the kernel and tools that you are using.  Also, older debian
releases do not get any official security updates.  You need to run the
"stable" release for those.

Cheers,

Joost