Re: Helvetica disappeared from KDE!

On Sat, 21 Jul 2001, Geoffrey Romer <gromer@hmc.edu> wrote:

>I was in the process of trying out some new desktop environments. I had been
>playing with KDE for a while with no ill effects, and then logged out to
>try Gnome. Due to the awful performance of nautilus, which started by default,
>I uninstalled nautilus (apt-get uninstall nautilus). This took
>task-gnome-desktop and task-gnome-games with it. On restarting KDE, I
>discovered to my horror that the fornt had switched to something really ugly
>and illegible. Further investigation revealed that it was alphabetically the
>first font which KDE was aware of, and when I tried to switch it back, I
>discovered that Helvetica was totally absent, and could not be re-enabled.
>An attempt to 'restore defaults' switched me to an equally ugly non-helvetica
>font.
>
>Just in case, I tried reinstalling the uninstalled packages (though Gnome
>*really* shouldn't be affecting KDE). the task-* packages wouldn't install,
>but nautilus came back fine. However, KDE still doesn't see Helvetica. The
>really odd part is that a few parts of KDE (particularly the opening KDE
>splash screen and the "really log out?" confirmation widnow) still seem to
>use Helvetica, even though it doesn't seem to exist, which makes me wonder
>if perhaps Helvetica is still there, but somehow invisible to KDE's font
>configurator.
>
>Where does KDE get its' font listing from? How can I determine if Helvetica
>is actually gone, or just missing from the list? Whether the former or the
>latter, how do I get it back? What package is it part of?

Try this: "xlsfonts | grep helvetica". If you get a list of XLFDs,
Helvetica is installed and seen by the X server, but not used by
KDE. Could it be that you have anti-aliasing turned on? This will make
KDE ignore bitmap fonts as they can't be AA'd. If you don't see any
list, Helvetica is either not installed or the is not in you fontpath.

A bitmapped Helvetica font is in the xfonts-75dpi and xfonts-100dpi
packages, font files go into /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi and
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi. These directories should be given as
"FontPath" in /etc/X11/XF86Config (for XF86 3.x) or
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (for XF86 4.x)

Helps?

--
Philipp Lehman <lehman@gmx.net>