Helvetica disappeared from KDE!

I was in the process of trying out some new desktop environments. I had been
playing with KDE for a while with no ill effects, and then logged out to
try Gnome. Due to the awful performance of nautilus, which started by default,
I uninstalled nautilus (apt-get uninstall nautilus). This took
task-gnome-desktop and task-gnome-games with it. On restarting KDE, I
discovered to my horror that the fornt had switched to something really ugly
and illegible. Further investigation revealed that it was alphabetically the
first font which KDE was aware of, and when I tried to switch it back, I
discovered that Helvetica was totally absent, and could not be re-enabled.
An attempt to 'restore defaults' switched me to an equally ugly non-helvetica
font.

Just in case, I tried reinstalling the uninstalled packages (though Gnome
*really* shouldn't be affecting KDE). the task-* packages wouldn't install,
but nautilus came back fine. However, KDE still doesn't see Helvetica. The
really odd part is that a few parts of KDE (particularly the opening KDE
splash screen and the "really log out?" confirmation widnow) still seem to
use Helvetica, even though it doesn't seem to exist, which makes me wonder
if perhaps Helvetica is still there, but somehow invisible to KDE's font
configurator.

Where does KDE get its' font listing from? How can I determine if Helvetica
is actually gone, or just missing from the list? Whether the former or the
latter, how do I get it back? What package is it part of?

--
Geoffrey M. Romer
gromer@hmc.edu