Re: running out of room on root system

Sorry Guy....Mike's way worked fine first time

> Paul> hard drive partitions
>
> Paul> hda1 root 50meg
> Paul> hda2 swap 100meg
> Paul> hda3 usr 2 gig
> Paul> hda5 home 2 gig
> Paul> hda6 fat32 storage for transferred win docs etc
>
> Mike> Do this, but make sure you don't reboot before this has
> Mike> completed.
>
> Mike> mv /var /vr                          #renames /var to /vr
> Mike> mv /vr /usr/var                    #moves /vr to /usr/var
>
> The last command won't work: mv cannot move directories across
> partitions. Replace it with this:
> mkdir /usr/var
> (cd /vr && tar cf - .) | (cd /usr/var && tar xf -)
> rm -rf /vr
>
> Mike> ln -s /usr/var /var                #does a soft symlink of /usr/var
and creates  ~var in root partition

is this what is expected guys.

When I go into ~var  all directories inside are still there. I go into
~var/backup     delete first bak file.....no change to free space on
hda1......        #expected as it is a symlink ???

I go into /usr/var/backup and delete same bak file         changes free
space on hda3     which means the move command Mike gave me did work

Does this sound like what is expected