Re: Motherboards

On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 04:34:23PM +0100, Keith O'Connell wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I want a new machine, and for fun and education I am going to build it
| from scratch. I have pretty much decided on an Athlon 1.2GHz. I will run
| a small partition with Windows Me on it, but it will predominantly be up
| in Debian.
|
| I thought I would consult here as to the motherboard that will give the
| least compatibility problems with the various chip sets available and
| for on-board sound.

I have a Gigabyte motherboard for my Duron 750 processor (it should be
able to handle Athlons as well).  It is based on the AMD 750 chipset
and I have had no problems with it (yet anyways ;-)).  The Tyan
Thunder K7 board looks cool (its a SMP board for the AthlonMP
processors and has a lot of stuff on-board) but has a price tag to
match its feature list (~$600).

On this list I have heard a lot of issues with the VIA KT133 chipset,
but I have no experience or documents to back that up.

HTH,
-D