Re: no swap

* D-Man (dsh8290@rit.edu) [010710 19:15]:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 01:22:34AM -0700, G.LeeJ wrote:
> | Does debian use a swap file I assume so......if not well forget this but
>
> Not a "file" but a partition.  It only uses one if you created one (a
> good idea!) when you installed (or if you added one later on).

Well, it can use a file, but using a whole partition will give much
better performance, and is the more "standard" way of doing things.

> Try 'free'.  Also in gnome-applets there is a swap-usage monitor as

free is a start; for more specific swap information see

swapon -s

(as root). It should list any active swap partitions and their size,
priority, and current usage. See swapon(8) for details.

Also see another thread on this list from about 10 days ago titled "no
swap" for an example of using a swapfile, in case you'd like to start
using swap (probably a good idea) and you (for some reason) can't give
it a partition.

Vineet