Installing device drivers

I recently have decided to install Debian on my computer after a long absence from the Linux world. However, I bought a cheap Winmodem and after a long, involved search I have actually found a device driver for Linux. After consulting with a couple of friends, none of us were able to figure out, remember, or actually find (in the man pages) how to install device drivers for hardware not supported in the kernel. I have not actually installed Debian yet (because of the modem), I can install the driver during the install.

Basically, my question comes down to this: if I put the driver on to a 3.5" diskette, does it need to be zipped (as I downloaded it) or unzipped?