Re: Remote file systems

OK

There are a couple of messages in this thread offering help, and I have
had a few emails with advice in. I now have an understanding as to what
goes on at boot time with daemons. Armed with this I trawled dselect for
differences in the various machine concerning "nfs"

I found that the desktops had by default installed the package
"nfs-kernel-server", whereas the laptop had installed the alternative
"nfs-server", so I switched the laptop to the other version, and the
problem when away!

Why would the two machines load different versions of a similar set of
daemons? I would like to know.

....however that problem is solved, so on to the next one

Thanks to David and Marty for long detailed explanations. I have filed
them

Keith.

| Keith O'Connell                  |     "That which does not kill     |
| Maidstone, Kent (UK)             |      us, usually still hurts.     |
| keith_oconnell@bigfoot.com       |   That's just life, I'm afraid"   |