Re: Remote file systems

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Keith O'Connell wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have recently installed Debian on a Dell laptop I have here. It has
>largely gone according to plan (laptops are never straight forward!).
>The
>problem came when I tried to share some directories. It seems that
>unlike other machines I have installed Debian on, the laptop does not
>load at boot up time the daemons "rpc.nfsd" and "rpc.mountd". I find
>that I have to load them by hand each time I boot the machine up
>
>	1: Why would they not be set-up to load at boot time?
>	2: How do I correct this so they *do* run at boot time?
>
>Anyone help here?
>
>Keith

Hi Keith,

The correct way to start/stop services at start/shutdown time is through
the use of Init scripts.  These scripts are stored in /etc/init.d/, and
have sensible names - 'portmap', lo and behold, controls the portmapper
service. :)

To specify which services should be started or stopped at any given
time, the concept of runlevels was formed.  These runlevels each have a
set of services assosciated with them.

To control which services are started or stopped for a particular
runlevel, a symlink pointing to the init script for that service is
placed in /etc/rcN.d/, where N is the number of the runlevel.  (For your
information, the default runlevel in Debian is 2.)

The names of these symlinks has special meaning.  If the initial letter
of the symlink is a 'S', then the init script it points to will be
executed with the 'start' parameter;  similarly, if the symlink's
initial character is a 'K', then the init script it points to will be
executed with the 'stop' parameter.

Conventionally, the symlink's next two characters are numbers.  This is
because, at startup, the symlinks will be executed alphabetically in
ascending order.  In this way you can specify that 'networking', say,
should be started before 'nfs' by putting a smaller number in front of
it.

To make the daemons rpc.nfsd and rpc.mount start at boot time, simply
place a symlink with the appropriate name in /etc/rc2.d.  Make sure that
the necessary packages are already installed. :)

Also, to test that it works okay, you can run any given init script by
hand on the commandline.

(If any of the above appears confusing, do a directory listing in
/etc/init.d and in /etc/rc2.d and all should become clear. :)

Cheers,

Dave
- --
     ,-.    || David McBride <dwm99@doc.ic.ac.uk>
     oo|    || http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~dwm99
   ((  (_)  || Computing Support Group, Dept. of Computing,
   (\--|7   || Imperial College, London