Re: embarrassing X question

Lo, on Thursday, July 19, Joost Kooij did write:

> The xfree86 packages have been changed to not accept tcp connections
> at all by default.  Check out the "-nolisten" option in your xserver
> manual page.

I don't think this holds for potato.  I'm pretty certain I never explicity
re-enabled it on this machine, as it's only network connection is a DSL
line to the outside world, and I certainly don't want to allow random
people to open X connections.  However:

[minbar:/etc/X11]$ netstat -an
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
<SNIP>
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:6000            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
<SNIP>

minbar:~# lsof -i :6000
COMMAND   PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME
XF86_SVGA 517 root    0u  IPv4    374       TCP *:6000 (LISTEN)

> If you want to turn it back on, change /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers or
> /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc, depending on how you start your xserver.

I don't have kdm installed, so I normally use startx.  On my machine,
/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc doesn't exist.  A quick check at
http://www.debian.org/Packages showed only one (potato) package which
contains an xserverrc file, xbase-clients, which I installed way back
when.  Checked it out, and this package contains
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc, which is a symlink to
/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc.

Where should I add the `-nolisten' switch?  Can I do this on the startx
command line?  (I already use a shell function to start x, as I switch
between two different color depths, so this wouldn't be too hard.)  Or is
there a config file I can add this to?

Richard