Re: embarrassing X question (PARTIAL FIX)

Joost Kooij wrote:
On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 08:27:49AM -0400, Richard Black wrote:
> For some reason, I can no longer remote login to another terminal and
> display stuff on mine!  This started happening last week (with,
> possibly, the changes to gdm...)
>
> I have tried many different things.  Typical is something like:
>
> [local machine]
> xhost +
> rlogin remote
>
> [remote machine]
> export DISPLAY=local:0.0
> nedit
>
> But all I get is:  NEdit: Can't open display

The xfree86 packages have been changed to not accept tcp connections
at all by default.  Check out the "-nolisten" option in your xserver
manual page.

If you want to turn it back on, change /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers or
/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc, depending on how you start your xserver.

Generally, don't use xhost, it is not safe.  Instead use xauth.

Cheers,

Joost

Okay

as I can't get xauth to work (help on this would still appreciated--see the rest of the thread for what has been tried), so I thought I would try to get rid of the -nolisten option.  This was fine...I am using gdm, so if you start gdmconfig and select the expert mode, you can change this in the X-server setup tab.

thanks everyone for you help.  I am still keen to get xauth working (on principal...) so if you have anyother suggestions, I would be happy to try them

cheers

Richard