Re: Help with ESS1888 setup.

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 08:57:53PM +1000, Kieren Diment wrote:
> I am having great problems with configuring my Dell Laptop's sound
> card.

Perhaps it needs plug-n-play to assign resources to it.

> According to Windows95 it is an ESS 1688 Audiodrive
> I/O Range  0240 - 024F
> 	   0388-038B
> 	   0330-0331
> IRQs 5 and 9
> DMA 00 and DMA 03
>
> I have tried configuring sound into the kernel to no effect.
>
> I have tried the commercial OSS package with no sucess.  It claims not
> to be able to compile soundcore properly.  I am using kernel
> 2.2.19pre17.
>
> I have tried installing ALSA with no success.
>
> Can anyone help me based on the above information

If it is a plug-n-play problem, install the isapnptools package, read
/usr/share/doc/isapnptools/*.  Run pnpdump, edit the output and save it
as /etc/isapnp.conf, then run "isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf".

Then modprobe your sound driver with the correct options.  Use "modinfo
-p modulename" to see the list of supported options.

When you have found the right configuration, create a file
/etc/modutils/local, in which you put the lines:

  alias char-major-14 modulename
  options modulename moduleoptions

Then run update-modules.  Check that /etc/modules.conf now contains the
above lines.

Cheers,

Joost