Re: OT: which journaling file system

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 03:31:04PM +0100, Christian Jaeger wrote:
> At 11:47 Uhr +1000 19.7.2001, Steve Kieu wrote:
> >I too asked this question ; there are a lot of
> >comparison around the net. But not from the benchmark,
> >...; just from my experience. I tested all of those.
> >
> >Reiserfs still has stability problem and it uses
> >system resources more than others. Not
>
> I didn't have any problems so far (kernel 2.4.5). It's faster than
> ext2, at least concerning directory access (find foo -name bar is
> faster with reiserfs), I haven't tested speed in a server environment
> yet. But from what I read from various sources, reiserfs should be
> faster than ext2 in almost any area?

ReiserFS has to generate or resolve hashes to get it's optimizations,
and on processor taxed systems (ie really old) you may get slower
speed from ReiserFS, because the kernel will always take precedence
over the user process...

> >One point you should know, XFS, JFS, Reiserfs is
> >journalling meta data only. ext3 journalling both data
> >and meta data as well.
>
> What does that mean?

It means that the file system structures, and accounting (meta-data)
are journalled and recoverable, but the contents (data) of those files
are not journalled.

I thought that ReiserFS does journal the file contents.  Can someone
point us to some docs that say for sure?

Mike