Re: embarrassing X question

Richard Black wrote:

> Joost Kooij wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 08:27:49AM -0400, Richard Black wrote:
> > > For some reason, I can no longer remote login to another terminal and
> > > display stuff on mine!  This started happening last week (with,
> > > possibly, the changes to gdm...)
> > >
> > > I have tried many different things.  Typical is something like:
> > >
> > > [local machine]
> > > xhost +
> > > rlogin remote
> > >
> > > [remote machine]
> > > export DISPLAY=local:0.0
> > > nedit
> > >
> > > But all I get is:  NEdit: Can't open display
> >
> > The xfree86 packages have been changed to not accept tcp connections
> > at all by default.  Check out the "-nolisten" option in your xserver
> > manual page.
> >
> > If you want to turn it back on, change /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers or
> > /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc, depending on how you start your xserver.
> >
> > Generally, don't use xhost, it is not safe.  Instead use xauth.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Joost
> >

> On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 10:40:40AM -0400, Richard Black wrote:
> > Joost Kooij wrote:
> > > Generally, don't use xhost, it is not safe.  Instead use xauth.
> >
> > But...how do I use xauth?  I have tried doing what what suggested in the man
> > page ie variants of
> >
> > xauth extract - $DISPLAY | rsh otherhost xauth merge -
>
> On the machine where you are running the xserver, retrieve the auth cookie
> like this:
>
>   xauth list | grep `hostname -f` | awk '/COOKIE/ {print $2"  "$3}'
>
> It should print one line.  Copy that line.  Then login to the remote
> machine and set the DISPLAY variable.  Then type "xauth add $DISPLAY
> " and don't press enter, but paste the line retrieved above on the
> remainder of the command line to xauth and press enter.  Now if you run
> "xauth list", it should show a line for the remote display.
>
> Try "xterm &" to see if it really works.
>
> > but there still seems to be a problem.  One thing I was wondering is if this
> > works when dhcpd is used.  In particular, the machine in my DISPLAY variable on
> > the remote machine is different from the machine in the .Xauthority file (on
the
> > remote machine)
>
> As long as the remote machine knows to find the machine listed in $DISPLAY
> set on the remote host and it knows what the corresponding xauth cookie
> is for that remote display, it should work fine.  The hostname in the
> cookie may be different on the local and the remote machine.  That is
> not a vital part of the actual cookie.
>
> > Is there a way to deal with this do you know?
>
> What are your problems still?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Joost

Okay, I followed the above and now I get:

[local]
$xauth list
torrblack1/unix:0  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1  c118dfcf59431dd0b7ef738d5ea8f1df
torrblack1:0  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1  c118dfcf59431dd0b7ef738d5ea8f1df

[remote]
$xauth list
tor-dhcp234:0  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1  c118dfcf59431dd0b7ef738d5ea8f1df
$echo $DISPLAY
tor-dhcp234:0.0
$xterm &
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: tor-dhcp234:0.0

Is there anything I need to set on the local side to allow any remote access?

thanks for you help

Richard