Re: embarrassing X question

Lo, on Thursday, July 19, Richard Black did write:

> Joost Kooij wrote:
>
> > Generally, don't use xhost, it is not safe.  Instead use xauth.
>
> But...how do I use xauth?  I have tried doing what what suggested in the man
> page ie variants of
>
> xauth extract - $DISPLAY | rsh otherhost xauth merge -
>
> but there still seems to be a problem.  One thing I was wondering is if
> this works when dhcpd is used.  In particular, the machine in my DISPLAY
> variable on the remote machine is different from the machine in the
> .Xauthority file (on the remote machine)

Odd; this should work.  What happens when you try this?

The different DISPLAY settings that you describe shouldn't be a problem.
The .Xauthority file can contain a list of several authentication keys,
each associated with a different display.  If the current display is
already in the file, the associated authentication key will be overwritten;
otherwise, it will be added.

Use `xauth list' to see a list of what's going on here.

Richard