Re: Characters shown as ? in mutt

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 09:55:45AM -0500, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
| On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 10:45:34PM -0400, D-Man wrote:
| > On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 07:58:17AM +1000, Doug Hespe wrote:
| > | Hi J?rgen,
| > | 	I am having difficulty reading your name in mutt where it shows up as
| > | "J?rgen". The problem is even worse in Xemacs and in regular Emacs where
| > | it is shown as "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22J=FCrgen_A=2E_Erhard=22?=".
| >
| > I don't know where to set the charset for mutt's internal pager or for
| > emacs because I use less as the pager and vim as the editor.  To
| > correct the display of upper-ASCII characters in less (and get rid of
| > the "binary file" warning) I added
| >     export LESSCHARSET=iso8859
| > to my .bashrc.  It wasn't a problem with vim's defaults.
|
| How about when telnet/ssh'ing into a machine? I sometimes read the email on my
| laptop from my desktop machine at work, and most extended characters show up as
| /?/ as well.

Ok, to tell more of the story I really put "setenv LESSCHARSET
iso8859" into my .cshrc on the Solaris box at school (they have csh as
default, I always run bash after I log in) where I am now reading and
writing this mail.  You need to tell less what charset to use.  If
less is running on a remote box you need to set the environment
variable on the remote box.  When you log in to a box remotely it is
just as if you are sitting in front of it.  Do the same thing there as
you would do for your local box.

-D