From: Michael B. Taylor [mailto:mtaylor@vorticity.engr.utk.edu]
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2001 9:08 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Soundblaster 16

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 09:22:17AM -0400, Adam Bell wrote:
> I have the same card.
>
> Probably your problem is that it's in plug and play mode, and since
> it's an ISA card that is suckland for Linux.

You can avoid isapnp difficulties all together by installing a 2.4
kernel. (i.e. install woody, or go to potato+2.4kernel via the Bunk
packages.)

The 2.4 series has smarts that can auto-sense IRQ's and addresses and
stuff. It doesnt work with every concievable isa card, but sb16 is one
thing that it is well tested with.

Mike