Is "make-kpkg" broken in testing? Problems with kernel 2.4.6 compuling.

I have tried 3 times to get my kernel version 2.4.6 direct source from
kernel.org to compile using make-kpkg buildpackage and tried using
individual commands. I get the same end error with all functions
"<build-stamp> Error 2" and it seems to try to compile a Debian source
package. "make-kpkg clean" "make-kpkg binary" also craps out with the
same error but seems to try to build the docs and the source packages
before it stops. NO kernel-image was compiled either way. Any ideas?
Thanks!
John