SOLVED (was Java (was Re: [OT] beware citibank!)

DvB muttered:
> Paul Mackinney wrote:
> > Jens Gecius uttered:
> There's something seriously messed up with debian/mozilla/java. However,
> I found the following usenet thread which helped me get mine working
> (I'm using the blackdown jre from testing with mozilla nightlies). The
> only thing I had to do was make the libXt.so symlink and java worked for
> me. If you can get it working without setting ASSUME_KERNEL, I would
> strongly recommend not setting it...
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=mozilla+java+debian+symlink&hl=en&safe=off&rnum=2&ic=1&selm=4A9886ADB0%25news%40youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid

This did the trick. Specifically, here's how I got Mozilla 0.9.2 running
with Java VM for the first time ever on my Woody system with j2sdk 1.4.0
installed:
1. Logged in as root, specifying Gnome session from gdm.
2. Used Netscape 4.77 to Download the lastest Mozilla nightly talkback build:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/nightly/latest/mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-installer.tar.gz
3. Opened a term window, installed mozilla and launched it:
# tar zxf mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-installer.tar.gz
# cd mozilla-installer
# ./moz*installer
4. Mozilla launches itself at the end of the install.
Linux Plugin" button; let it do it's thing.
5. Quit Mozilla.
6. Create the following symlinks, your paths may vary:
# link -s /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.0/jre/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/local/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
# link -s /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6 /usr/local/mozilla/libXt.so
7. Restart, log in a a normal user, browse away.

Thanks everyone who helped make this possible. Note that you might want
to save the symlink commands in a script, since updating the mozilla
nightly build nukes the old version.

Paul