Re: Safe File Manager to run as root ?

> I've never used mc, but I did try gmc a while back.  I
> stopped using gmc when I tried to _copy_ some files
> from a floppy.  Instead the default drag-n-drop action
> is move.

>From being a fairly experienced windows user, and apparently
one of the few who understand and use drag-n-drop (I've seen
very few people who actually do it...), I have a pretty good
grasp on the situation. It appears that the gmc developers
either copied Windows Explorer behavior, or Explorer is
copying something before it. I don't know, nor care. I've used
Sun's file manager from Open Windows on the Sparcs we used to
use at work, but don't recall it's behavior. Anyone ??

Here it goes:

* If you drag a file from one *drive* to another, the default
is to *copy*
* If you drag a file from one directory to another directory,
the default is to *move*

Since the *nix world makes everything a dir, you're going to
move a file instead of copy it. Going from a floppy to your
hard drive follows the two drives logic.

By the way, in both Windows and gmc, dragging with the right
button in Windows and the middle button in gmc prompts you as
to what you want to do. The choices are move, copy, and
link/shortcut. I actually do it this way all the time... A
good habit, I think.

Hall