Re: Starting with postgreSQL and pgaccess

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 04:30:57PM +0000, Victor wrote:
> I'm now having a go at using postgresql, the version included in  debian 2.2r3.
>
> Now, while I've been able to create my first db and tables using psql
> under postgres user,

No need for that.  Just create a valid user with your id, grant priviledges
to create new databases and then after that you can do most or all things
as regular user.  Postgresql is a real multi-user database system, you do
not need to be the postgres administrative user all the time.  It's like
your linux system: you shouldn't have to be root all the time.

>                      I'm in trouble using pgaccess. After trying to
> open the same db giving its name and postgres as user it invariably
> answers:
>
> Connection to database failed ConnectDB().....Connection refused: Is
> the postmaster running (with -i) at localhost and accepting
> connections on TCP/IP port 5432?

You must enable postgresql to listen to tcp/ip sockets.  By default it will
only listen to local unix domain sockets.  The version of Pgaccess that you
have can only connect to postgresql through the tcp/ip socket interface.

IIRC you have to change the file /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf
Make it only listen to 127.0.0.1, that is all pgaccess on the local
host requires.

> I've checked in /etc/services for port 5432 and it is there for postgres.

That file is just an informative lookup table.  It does not configure
any of your services, it only lists well-know ports and commonly associated
services.

Cheers,

Joost