Starting with postgreSQL and pgaccess

I'm now having a go at using postgresql, the version included in  debian 2.2r3.

Now, while I've been able to create my first db and tables using psql
under postgres user, I'm in trouble using pgaccess. After trying to
open the same db giving its name and postgres as user it invariably
answers:

Connection to database failed ConnectDB().....Connection refused: Is
the postmaster running (with -i) at localhost and accepting
connections on TCP/IP port 5432?

I've checked in /etc/services for port 5432 and it is there for postgres.

What should I do to make pgaccess work?

Ciao

Vittorio