Re: Adding a user to a group

>>>>> "Dave" == Dave Sherohman <esper@sherohman.org> writes:

 Dave> On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 07:50:19AM -0400, Nathan Weston wrote:
 >> Oops, I meant to post back to the list... is there a reason that
 >> the list address isn't in the reply-to by default, like it is on
 >> most lists?

 Dave> 1) Yes, there is a reason.  Do a search on "reply-to considered
 Dave> harmful" for more information.

do a search for 'reply-to munging considered useful', for what I feel
is a much more convincing argument.  the link where I found it
originally,

http://www.metasystema.org/essays/reply-to-useful.html

appears to be down, but you can probably find it elsewhere.

 Dave> 2) I dispute your assertion that most lists use reply-to-list.
 Dave> I am currently subscribed to... um... about 15? lists (not
 Dave> including the ones that I own) and exactly one of them sets a
 Dave> reply-to header.

really.  I'm on about the same number, and the split is more like
40/60 for me, in favor of not setting reply-to. also, most of the
lists I admin set reply-to, at the request of the people on the
lists.

in the end, the 'right' policy is the one chosen by the list admins,
since they have the right to set whatever policy they want.  but this
does seem like an issue that just won't go away, ever.

--

joe