Re: Off Topic: iptables, ping, traceroute

 Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 04:22:25PM +0200, Walter Hofmann wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, John Patton wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 02:30:29PM -0500, William Jensen wrote:
> > > I've setup a fairly restrictive set of rules for iptables and have been,
> > > up to this point, extremely satisfied with its performance.  However,
> > > I've recently started having some signifiant issues with my cable modem
> > > provider and they routinely want to ping and traceroute to my machine.
> > > This requires me to take down my firewall and wait for them to finish,
> > > then put it back up.  I'd like to make, as part of my rule set, ping and
> > > traceroute able to get through.  So far I've done this for my input chain
> > > for ping
> > >
> > >     -A INPUT -p icmp -j ACCEPT
> > >
> > >     For traceroute I've done this:
> > >
> > >     -A INPUT -p ip -j ACCEPT
> > >
> > > These appear to work, however, am I overlooking something from a
> > > security
> > > point of view by allowing any icmp and ip's through?  Is there a
> > > better
> > > way?
> >
> > You could further limit your rules by specifying the source
> > address of you cable modem provider, something like:
> >
> >      -A INPUT -p icmp -s provider.cable.net -j ACCEPT
>
> If William blocks all ICMP packets then I'm not suprised that he has
> connection problems. ICMP is there for a reason. In particular, if he
> blocks ICMP type destination-unreachable/fragmentation-needed then all
> his connections, which, at some point, run over a low MTU link will
> break sooner or later. This usually happens after the first big packet
> gets send over the connection.
> This is because blocking ICMP breaks PMTU discovery.
>
> Really, ICMP is there for a reason. Nobody should expect to get away
> with blocking it, unless they are accepting random connection hangs and
> similar problems.

Using iptables with connection tracking, it isn't a problem
as long as established/related stuff is let in. If William
is running public services, most icmp protocols should be
allowed from whom-ever, but if he is simply trying to make
his stand-alone private machine invisible to ping sweeps,
then blocking icmp is perfectly reasonable, and won't cause
any problems.

--
John Patton                      patton66@home.com

"Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who
find it."  - Andre Gide