Re: Why is setting up X so arcane? (SOLVED!!!)

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Nikki Locke wrote:

> In article <[🔎] Pine.HPP.3.95.1010716151409.12442D-200000@elektron.its.tudelft.nl>, Sebastiaan wrote:
> > yes, finally succeeded. A guru at school assisted me in building a new
> > XF86Config file. The dotclocks are probed incorrectly, so forcing other
> > values seemed to work. However, the card has really wierd behaviour and
> > crashes sometimes when switching between resolutions. But we have
> > succeeded in getting mode 1024x768 working in 16 bits, but unfortunately
> > the vertical refresh rate is too low.
> >
> > I have attached a working XF86Config (sorry, its for the greater good),
> > works with the SVGA driver as well as with S3. Let this configuration
> > help those who have the S3 Vision 964 card.
>
> Thanks for the post. I have tried your config on my card, and it has the
> same effect as all the other configs I have tried so far - it hangs the
> machine solid. (FX: having tried Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, Ctrl-Alt-+,
> Ctrl-Alt--, Ctrl-Alt-Del, Shift-Ctrl-F1 through F6 and "halt" from
> a telnet session [no echo or response], hits the reset button).

Darmed. The problem with my card was that the clockmodes were probed
incorrectly. Well, do not waste your time anymore, if the whole system
hangs, that is a bad sign. I am told that often chips with bugs are sold
for cheap production. They make drivers with workaround for the bugs, but
unfortunately there is no information available for us open source devs.
Because the card is unreferenced and only identified by several
'compatibles' (and no, I do not think you have a Diamond card, if it is
Diamond, there is a clear logo on the card and you would be sure) I have
reason to beleive that this is a buggy card.

Well, the guy at school said something like 'This card sucks, wait <...>
here you have an old one that works'. And yes, I replaced the card with a
Diamond Stealth 2500 which works perfectly.

Greetz,
Sebastiaan