boot disks (again)

thanks to everyone who helped with my mformat problem, but i am still unable
to get my boot disks working so i though i'd write another e-mail in a little
bit greater detail

the disk created with 'mkboot /boot/vmlinuz2.2.17pre19" does work to boot the
system by starting lilo (produces "LILO boot:" at start up)
however, the boot disks made using basically the method described by the
people responding to my e-mail (dd and rdev) don't work. there is a slight
difference between what i did and some of the responses though. i used dd
with a blocksize of 8192 (bs=8192) and then checked to make sure it was set
to the first partition on the hard disk (rdev /dev/fd0 << /dev/hda1), and it
was correct, so i didn't need to set it again, right ?
i've also used cp and omittedthe bs argument for dd. i've tried all the above
on newly formatted disks and used both /vmlinuz and /boot/vmlinuz2.2.17pre19
with the dd & cp commands
perhaps i should have mentioned that upon rebooting after printing several
dots following 'loading' the computer began to rapidly print "200" then on a
new line "AX:<some numbers>" new line "BX:<some numbers>" and so on until 'DX'
the disks were either brand new or formatted w/ superformat or msdos
i've tried every combination of files, format, copying techniques and
specification of the root device listed above but i have yet to create a
working boot disk

Which file should i use (/vmlinuz or /boot/vmlinuz2.2.17pre19), and how can i
make it work?

thanks in advance
-Ransom