Re: Why is setting up X so arcane? (SOLVED!!!)

In article <[🔎] Pine.HPP.3.95.1010716151409.12442D-200000@elektron.its.tudelft.nl>, Sebastiaan wrote:
> yes, finally succeeded. A guru at school assisted me in building a new
> XF86Config file. The dotclocks are probed incorrectly, so forcing other
> values seemed to work. However, the card has really wierd behaviour and
> crashes sometimes when switching between resolutions. But we have
> succeeded in getting mode 1024x768 working in 16 bits, but unfortunately
> the vertical refresh rate is too low.
>
> I have attached a working XF86Config (sorry, its for the greater good),
> works with the SVGA driver as well as with S3. Let this configuration
> help those who have the S3 Vision 964 card.

Thanks for the post. I have tried your config on my card, and it has the
same effect as all the other configs I have tried so far - it hangs the
machine solid. (FX: having tried Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, Ctrl-Alt-+,
Ctrl-Alt--, Ctrl-Alt-Del, Shift-Ctrl-F1 through F6 and "halt" from
a telnet session [no echo or response], hits the reset button).

So, if you have a Diamond Stealth 64, don't bother, just throw away
the card and get a new one (like I'm going to soon).

--
Nikki Locke, Trumphurst Ltd.      PC & Unix consultancy & programming
nikki@trumphurst.com            http://www.trumphurst.com/