Re: GUI for GCC

On Monday 16 July 2001 11:52 am, D-Man wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 12:56:34PM +0200, Ellenkamp, Guus wrote:
> | Hello Matthias,
> |
> | Thanks for the reply.
> |
> | Might be I'm looking for an ADE. I used to work with an Atari-ST, which
> | had a nice integrated editor/compiler/linker/debugger (edit sources,
> | compile, jump from errors to source, graphical debugger...)
> |
> | Which one do you recommend?

As someone else said... editor of choice (some flavor of emacs or vi), plus
the command-line tools: make, a compiler, etc.
I assume you are new to linux and looking for equivalents to the tools you
are used to, but on linux things are done somewhat differently. Although
there are IDEs available, most of them are pretty immature and tied to a few
languages. Emacs/vi, OTOH, are highly customizable, and can be extended to
work with any language, as well as integrating powerful command-line tools.
  Having used a number of Visual * programs on windows, I find that emacs +
make + gcc beats all of them hands down (although the visual basic IDE had a
few nice features). If you try to find clones of the tools you are used to
from windows, you will most likely be disappointed. You will have much better
luck trying to learn the unix way of doing things.

Good luck,
Nathan