Re: GUI for GCC

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 12:56:34PM +0200, Ellenkamp, Guus wrote:
| Hello Matthias,
|
| Thanks for the reply.
|
| Might be I'm looking for an ADE. I used to work with an Atari-ST, which had
| a nice integrated editor/compiler/linker/debugger (edit sources, compile,
| jump from errors to source, graphical debugger...)
|
| Which one do you recommend?

I recommend using (g)vim, bash, make, gcc, gdb.  This is my preferred
setup.  Actually, I don't really use gdb directly, but I used DDD as a
GUI front-end to it.  I haven't done any C/C++ projects in a while so
I haven't actually used anything, but I will probably use GVD (GNU
Visual Debugger) for the next one because it has a nice GTK+ interface
(DDD uses Motif which I don't really like, other than that it is a
nice tool).  One major difference between *nix systems and others is
that the entire OS is your IDE.  You have great tools like diff, grep,
find, etc, available to work with the source tree.  There are tons of
different editors available, gvim happens to be my favorite (includes
systax highlighting, auto-indenting, and auto jumping to errors if you
run make/gcc from within it).  I then run my programs from bash,
rather than using a "run" button in some other IDE.  Try searching on
gnome.org or kde.org or on Google for Linux IDEs and you'll see that
there are a large variety, though most only support certain languages
and are relatively new.  Try several of them out and see what
combination you like best.

-D