Re: Updating Sid (And not quite failing all the way)

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 10:19:56AM -0000, Kurt Dresner wrote:
> So I managed to get most of the packages updated and everything, thanks to
> everyone who helped me on that one, but now I am getting error messages with
> two packages that come in the flavor of:
>
> dpkg error: trying to overwrite file foo.bar which is also in package baz
>
> What does this mean, and how do I alleviate it?  I believe one of the
> packages had something to do with tetex or something? I dunno.  I'm a silly
> newbie.

Set some options in /etc/apt/apt.conf that make it invoke dpkg with
the '--force-overwrite' option, or manually run
  dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/$pkg.deb
on the $pkg that is overwriting another package's files.

BTW, the package that does this is buggy.  Consider filing a bug
against it.

Cheers,

Joost