Newbieish question

Please take pity :)

I'm an extreme newbie to debian (having installed it for the first time
about a week ago. I was assiged the task of setting up a 50 seat network,
and since we're an edcuational institution, we have a really tight
budget: the savings of not having to buy a $9 per person liscence are
quite hefty.

Unfortuantly, we'll still be using w2k clients. Now, not having my head
completly buried in my ::cough:: I knew that samba could provide file
sharing. Little did I know that samba-tng would provide good w2k access.

This is my dilemma: to run samba-tng, I have to upgrade to "unstable." My
mandate explictly states that downtime is *BAD*, very, very, very,
bad. How risky is running unstable? What shouldn't I do? Should I upgrade
to 2.4.6? (I'm running a home box as a testbed for this, so I'll be warned
slightly in advance, but...)

I'd love any advice or assistance.

If anyone wants to help, or discuss this over lunch, I live in LA, and
I'll be going to rochester, NY, for 3 days next week. I'd love to actually
discuss this with someone who knows what they're talking about.

Thank you,
-Brian