Re: Newbieish question

On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 12:11:38PM -0700, Brian Ballsun-Stanton wrote:
> This is my dilemma: to run samba-tng, I have to upgrade to "unstable." My
> mandate explictly states that downtime is *BAD*, very, very, very,
> bad. How risky is running unstable? What shouldn't I do? Should I upgrade
> to 2.4.6? (I'm running a home box as a testbed for this, so I'll be warned
> slightly in advance, but...)

You can compile package foo from source with "apt-get -b source foo", so
that you don't have to dist-upgrade everything. Just put these lines in
your "/etc/apt/sources.list":

deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US woody/non-US main contrib non-free

Don't forget to  "apt-get upgrade" :-)

Hope this helps.

Stephen Rueger

--
Das fortwaehrende Dasein des Menschengeschlechts ist bloss ein Beweis
der Geilheit desselben.