Re: Getting dselect and apt-* to work from a local file system

Am 15. Jul, 2001 schwäzte Joost Kooij so:

> Before ubiquitous net access became a commodity, debian worked just fine.
> Why else do you think that there still is a dpkg-split utility in the dpkg
> package?

Never even heard of it before :). Cool feature, though.

> Download the Packages file, ungzip it, and use the correct interface:
>
>   dpkg --update-avail Packages

OK, this is the knowledge we were missing. Now the question is: Is Tommy
still out there?

Tommy, here's what it looks like you need to do ( wait to see if Joost or
somebody else confirms my questionable presumptions ).

Download the Packages files from the sources you want. Boot into Debian.

Either use "dpkg --update-avail /path/to/packages/Packages", then deselect
to decide what packages you want. Inside dselect you can choose to install
packages. Before they can be installed you'll need to download the
appropriate debs.

Joost, at the point they've been dselected he can run "dpkg
-l | grep ^in" to get a list of packages to download. Is there a better way?

He then puts the debs in /var/cache/apt/archives/? Install via "apt-get
dselect-upgrade"?

Then again, maybe we should just get Tommy's networking working :).

ciao,

der.hans

PS: Joost, thanks for all the info. I've learned quite a bit.
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com
#  It's up to the reader to make the book interesting.