Re: Problem: 'only root can unmount "/dev/something" from "/somewhere"'

Norbert> Hi there, on quite a number of machines I've encountered the
Norbert> problem, that a normal user can mount filesystems
Norbert> ("user"-flag set in /etc/fstab) but when trying to unmount,
Norbert> the above error is given instead. It seems a problem in
Norbert> either kernel 2.4 series or one of the new versions of
Norbert> "mount", since I never had that problem before.

Newer versions of mount have given a different meaning to the `user'
flag. Only the user who issued the mount command can do the umount.

If you want to have the old behaviour, change the fstab flag to
`users'.

(This feature is described in the mount man page.)

--
G. ``Iggy'' Geens - ICQ: #64109250
Home: <ggeens@iname.com> - Work: <guy.geens@cgey.be>