Re: keyboard HOWTO

On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 05:39:05PM +0200, Ionel Mugurel Ciobica wrote:
> In Keyboard HOWTO I found this:

>   8.5.  Composing symbols
>
>   One symbol may be constructed using several keystrokes.
>
>   o  LeftAlt-press, followed by a decimal number typed on the keypad,
>      followed by LeftAlt-release, yields the symbol with code given by
>      this number.  (In Unicode mode this same mechanism, but then with 4
>      hexadecimal digits, may be used to define a Unicode symbol.)

> I have tried LeftAlt with numbers from keypad and the others,
> I tried RightAlt, windows keys, menu key, anything else I could
> imagine. If press LeftAlt key and I type 123 and then I release
> LeftAlt I don't get {, but instead I get 123 in the same time I
> type it not after I release the LeftAlt key.
>
> I would like to know if this feature is working for someone
> on the list.

me too.

in my rxvt (thus via X) window, i turn off numlock and my keypad
gives me

0 thru 9 gives p thru y -- but each keystroke inserted a new
line above the previous. aha! ^V<keypadDigit> shows Op which
is escape (vim thinks that means 'stop insert mode') then "O" as
in capital oh (vim thinks 'open new line above') then "p" gets
inserted.

the alt key has no effect, whether numlock is on or off.

so, SOMEWHERE, there's a configuration option that's disabled,
OR something didn't get compiled in. right?

in which case, WHAT?

how can i type an accented e? or a c-cedilla? or a u-dieresis?

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #82 from USM Bish <bish@nde.vsnl.net.in>
: