keyboard HOWTO

In Keyboard HOWTO I found this:

  8.5.  Composing symbols

  One symbol may be constructed using several keystrokes.

  o  LeftAlt-press, followed by a decimal number typed on the keypad,
     followed by LeftAlt-release, yields the symbol with code given by
     this number.  (In Unicode mode this same mechanism, but then with 4
     hexadecimal digits, may be used to define a Unicode symbol.)

I have tried LeftAlt with numbers from keypad and the others,
I tried RightAlt, windows keys, menu key, anything else I could
imagine. If press LeftAlt key and I type 123 and then I release
LeftAlt I don't get {, but instead I get 123 in the same time I
type it not after I release the LeftAlt key.

I would like to know if this feature is working for someone
on the list.

I have to say that I use a custom file with loadkey (for the
console) and a custom file with xmodmap (for X), so I can
understand that the features of LeftAlt key are lost.

Someone know what I have to add in those file to make it
work like it says on that HOWTO?

Thank you for the help.

Regards,
	Ionel

P.S. The only documents I could find on the net about LeftAlt key
are the Keyboard-Howtos.

P.P.S. My /etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz file have this line:
keycode  56 = Alt
and my ~/.xmodmap and also my /etc/X11/Xmodmap files have this line:
keycode 0x40 =  Alt_L