Re: missing consoles

On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 08:34:54AM -0700, David J. Roundy wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 09:29:18PM -0700, Eric G. Miller wrote:
> > Obviously kdm is not detaching as a background process.  Perhaps it
> > doesn't fork?  Anyway, you can try the --background argument to
> > start-stop-daemon and see if that helps.  Note: you can't rely on the
> > exit status of start-stop-daemon to tell you anything useful with
> > "--background".
>
> That worked beautifully.  It fixes all the problems I've been having with
> kdm and my virtual terminals.
>
> Should I report this as a bug in kem (it certainly seems like a bug to me)?
> If so, do you have any idea whether it might be an easy bug to fix?

Well, I've used kdm in the past and never seen that problem.  So, it's a
bit weird that it would crop up.  I haven't heard anyone else mention
this problem, so perhaps there's something weird going on on your end?
Maybe, you'll want to be sure by purging kdm, and reinstalling it.  But,
before you do that, check the outstanding bug reports for it.  If the
problem persists, then I'd say it's a bug.  It's a good idea to make
sure a bug is reproducible before filing it....

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>