Re: missing consoles

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 07:14:53PM -0400, Jeld The Dark Elf wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 11:31:08AM -0700, David J. Roundy wrote:
> > Hello all.  I recently ran into a strange (to me, at least) problem on my
> > debian computer at home.  All of the virtual consoles are here.  I can
> > still use ctrl-alt-[1-7], but there are no login prompts (although gpm
> > still works fine, and I can type), and now X is on console 2 rather than
> > console 7.
> >
> > If someone could point me to the right place to look for information on
> > fixing this, I'd appreciate it.  btw, I have no idea what I did to cause
> > this (or I might have been able to figure out how to fix it).  It's been
> > like this for a few weeks, but I've been busy and am just now getting
> > around to looking at it.
> >

> Look at /etc/inittab

I took a look at this, where the virtual consoles are created, and see now
how both my problem were caused.  Somehow one of the init.d scripts (I
think it was kdm itself) didn't return, so init didn't finish reading
through inittab, and so it never got to calling getty.

init also stopped before running S99rmnologin, so because of the 'auth
required pam_nologin.so' in /etc/pam.d/kde, I can't log in using a password
(although the kdm passwordless login circumvents this).  If I remove the
'nologin' files from /etc, I can log in with my password using kde.  Also,
this makes me able to log in as a nonroot user on a console I start up
manually using getty.

I still have no idea why kdm is freezing init (or what it actually is doing
to it), and it may in fact not be kdm's fault at all.  I am about to start
troubleshooting exactly what the problem is, and would appreciate any
advice anyone could give me.
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/