Re: XFree86 4.0.3 configuration (and autoviewing HTML mail in mutt)

On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 04:59:06AM +0000, florentin ionescu wrote:

| Sorry for the inconvenience but I am used Hotmail web-mail because can't use

Yeah, it is no fun when your preferred MUA can't be used.  See below
for a solution someone gave me so that HTML mail isn't too bothersome
anymore (except when quoting is totally hosed and I can't tell who said
what).

| pine, have no X server running! I attached the original question please

Actually, pine is a console MUA (last time I checked) so you don't
need X to use it (FYI).

Bek:

I see that you are using mutt.  Someone else gave me this clue, and it
works great!

-------- ~/.mailcap
text/plain;  less %s; nametemplate=%s.text; copiousoutput
text/html;   lynx -dump %s; nametemplate=%s.html; copiousoutput

-------- ~/.mime.types
text/plain              text txt
text/html               html htm

-------- ~/.muttrc
# some people insist on using HTML mail
# this will automatically convert HTML to Plain Test (via settings in
# ~/.mailcap and ~/.mime.types)
auto_view  text/html

# This tells mutt which MIME type to preferr to show, if both are in a
# message
alternative_order text/plain text/html
----

I am running this on my school's Solaris 8 system where my mail is
received.  They only have 'lynx', not 'links', but the latter will
probably give better looking output (especially if tables, etc, are
used because lynx doesn't support tables).

Florentin:

I recommend backing up your XF86Config file from 3.3.6 first
(hopefully it's not too late for you).  Then use your favorite text
editor to tweak the version 4 config file to include the options you
had with the old version.  This worked quite well for me (diff. card
though).

HTH,
-D