hp5l paraport print insanity

Thanks to my HP5l parallel printer, I very close to entering a parallel state of consciousness.

My dilema:

The printer prints fine in ASCII text mode.

I am under the assumption that there is something wrong with my /etc/printcap file.

I have been using the GUI to run the printer tests, but editting the /etc/printcap file by hand.

The problem occurs when I attempt to print in Postscript mode.

The postscript prints in source code for pages and pages.
I get the following output on the page1:
	%!
		%!PS-Adobe-2.0
			%%Title: testpage.fig
				%%Creator: fig2dev Version 3.2 Patchlevel

Packages being used:
ii  lprngtool      1.1.1-3        GUI frontend to LPRng based /etc/printcap
ii  lprng          3.7.4-4        lpr/lpd printer spooling system
ii  ifhp           3.4.4-1        Printer filter for HP LaserJet printers

My /etc/printcap

##LPRNGTOOL## LOCAL lj4dith 600x600 letter {} LaserJet4dither Default {}
lp
:ifhp=hp4l
:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp
:sh
:ml=0
:mx=0
:af=/var/spool/lpd/lp/acct
:lf=/var/spool/lpd/lp/log
:cd=/var/spool/lpd/lp
:lp=/dev/lp0
:if=/usr/lib/filters/ifhp
:

Another /etc/printcap with same results:

##LPRNGTOOL## LOCAL lj4dith 600x600 letter {} LaserJet4dither Default {}
lp
:ifhp=hp5l
:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp
:sh
:ml=0
:mx=0
:af=/var/spool/lpd/lp/acct
:lf=/var/spool/lpd/lp/log
:cd=/var/spool/lpd/lp
:lp=/dev/lp0
:if=/usr/lib/filters/ifhp
:

Any assistance in resolving this problem would be greatly appreciated.

-Ted