Re: MUAs that compare with Outlook (your chance to show how much better Linux is than MS!!)

 Brian> However, Gnus seems to perform badly (IMHO) when accessing
 Brian> remote mail:

 Brian> - on startup, it tries to check for mail on every folder. This
 Brian> is slow and time consuming (I only have a shared 28.8kbps
 Brian> Internet connection...). Especially annoying if I only want to
 Brian> check mail on my local server.

one way you might be able to accomplish this is to use 'levels'.  you
can set a mail (or news) group at a certain level, and when you check
for new mail gnus will only fetch for groups at or below that level.
the default fetch level is 3 (IIRC), so if you set groups at level 4
they would only be fetched if you explicitly asked for them.

I have not tried this, so YMMV.

--

joe