Re: Floppy Install - How to load driver-1,2,3,4 floppies?

> > I'm trying to do a "vanilla" Debian floppy install (rescue + root +
> > driver-1,2,3,4).
> >
> > The system boots ok from the rescue disk and I get the boot: prompt, to
> > which I hit return.  Linux loads and I am prompted to insert the root
> > floppy, which I do and hit return, the setup program loads and I get as
far
> > as the first step to select the keyboard layout.  Everything ok so far,
> > AFAICT.
> >
> > The next step is to "Preload essential modules from a floppy".  It
seems,
> > the scsi controller is not recognised.  So I must follow this step, and
> > insert the driver-1 floppy.  After selecting yes, I get a dialog:
"Critical
> > Error - Cannot mount the floppy. Stop"

> > The system I am trying to install to is a Compaq Proliant 4500.  It has
> > 5-disk scsi array controlled by a SMART raid controller in slot 1 of the
> > EISA bus.  There is also a NCR scsi controller embedded on the
motherboard,
> > this is used for the CD-ROM and DAT drive.  If anyone has done an
install
> > to similar hardware, I would be interested to hear about any other
problems
> > I might expect.

> I've installed Debian in some Compaq tha have SMART raid controller, and
what
> I did was build a kernel that has SMART raid support built into. Next copy
> the kernel into rescue disk, boot and install as usual. You must take care
> to select SMART raid support into kernel not as a module, and you don't
have
> to have any problem. You can use CD-ROM, flopyes, ftp, etc to install
> Debian.

Thanks, I'm compiling a new kernel as I write.  Do you remember what bus the
Compaq had?  The Proliant 4500 is EISA and I think that is half the problem.
probably need to supply some parameters for the driver, but I'm not sure
what
these need to be or where to put them.

What I *really* should be asking is what to do with the driver floppies
(hence
the subject rename).  The readme.txt says that the "compact" 3-floppy set
includes a driver for SMART scsi controller, so I'm assuming that the
"vanilla"
floppy set must have this too - but how to load it?

I'm actually thinking of registering a bug against the documentation for the
boot-floppies package on this specific point.  If I knew exactly what I'm
missing, I could make the bug report more constructive.

> I hope this helps you.

Yes, it always helps to know something _can_ be done.  Thanks.