Floppy Install - Need drivers for scsi raid controller

Hi,

I'm trying to do a "vanilla" Debian floppy install (rescue + root +
driver-1,2,3,4).

The system boots ok from the rescue disk and I get the boot: prompt, to
which I hit return.  Linux loads and I am prompted to insert the root
floppy, which I do and hit return, the setup program loads and I get as far
as the first step to select the keyboard layout.  Everything ok so far,
AFAICT.

The next step is to "Preload essential modules from a floppy".  It seems,
the scsi controller is not recognised.  So I must follow this step, and
insert the driver-1 floppy.  After selecting yes, I get a dialog: "Critical
Error - Cannot mount the floppy. Stop"

I'm guessing that is isn't the correct install sequence, but after reading
the install manual (specifically chapters 5, 6 & 7) I still can't see what I
did wrong.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The system I am trying to install to is a Compaq Proliant 4500.  It has a
5-disk scsi array controlled by a SMART raid controller in slot 1 of the
EISA bus.  There is also a NCR scsi controller embedded on the motherboard,
this is used for the CD-ROM and DAT drive.  If anyone has done an install to
similar hardware, I would be interested to hear about any other problems I
might expect.

Thanks.